Are You Ready to Make a Difference?
At the KU School of Public Affairs and Administration, our mission is to educate exceptional public professionals and generate thought leadership that provides solutions to the most pressing global and community challenges by advancing the public good, democratic values, and ethical public management practices.
With a unique combination of theoretically grounded course work and practical application, our Master of Public Administration degree provides students with the knowledge and skills needed to lead, innovate, and problem-solve in public sector and non-profit settings.
- Our 43-credit hour program is accredited by the Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, and Administration (NASPAA).
- Through course work, students are able to effectively:
- Lead and manage in public governance
- Participate in and contribute to the public policy process
- Analyze, synthesize, think creatively, solve problems, and make decisions
- Articulate and apply public service perspectives
- Communicate and interact productively with a diverseand changing workforce and citizenry
Students in Our MPA Specialize in:
- City and County Management
- Public Policy
- Public/Non-profit Management
- Law and Society
- Urban Planning
Learn how on MPA Curriculum.
Graduation Rate and Employment Statistics
- Of the 39 students who were admitted and enrolled for the 2015-2016 academic year:
- 33% graduated within 2 years
- 56% graduated within 3 years
- 74% graduated within 4 years
- The total percentage of students who completed the program is 87%.
- This percentage rate should be viewed in the perspective of the small number of students admitted and enrolled.
- Of the students who did not complete, some moved away, had personal obligations that took precedence, or found that the program was not a right fit for them.
As an example of where our graduates are employed, here is the information for MPA students who graduated in the 2019-2020 academic year:
- Total number of graduates: 36
- Federal government: 3
- State government: 5
- Local government: 15
- Government outside the U.S.: 2
- Nonprofit (domestic): 4
- Nonprofit (internationally-oriented): 0
- Private sector (research/consulting): 1
- Private sector (not research/consulting): 3
- Obtaining further education: 1
- Military service: 0
- Retired: 1
- Unknown: 1
U.S. News & World Report MPA Ranking Highlights
Meeting the Needs of Today's Students
- Our program accommodates the needs of both full-time students who are looking to launch a career in public service as well as those who already have a career and are looking to accelerate it by pursuing an MPA degree part-time.
- We offer MPA classes at the Lawrence and KU Edwards Campus in Overland Park, Kansas. Some of our courses are available online.
- Students specifically interested in city and county management are encouraged to apply to our #1 ranked City Management Fellowship program.