How to Apply - MUP

The following materials are required of all applicants to the Master of Urban Planning. Incomplete applications will not be forwarded to the admissions committee for review. Applications are considered on a rolling basis.

Apply for KU Graduate Admission

Application Materials Required for Admission

When you are ready, you may APPLY ONLINE. Please be prepared to upload the following documents: unofficial transcript, resume, personal statement, and writing sample. You will also include the names and email addresses for your references.  There is also a required application fee. 

Transcripts must be sent from applicant's undergraduate institution and any post-graduate institutions attended directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions at or Graduate Admissions, University of Kansas, KU Visitor Center, 1502 Iowa St., Lawrence, KS 66045.

Applicants with an undergraduate degree or post-graduate credit from KU do not need to submit transcripts. These records will be verified by the KU Registrar’s Office directly to Graduate Admissions.

For degrees earned from institutions outside the U.S., additional documents may be required to fulfill both the application and the enrollment requirements.  Details are outlined through the graduate office website.  

Recommendation letters should be from persons who can address the applicant’s ability to do graduate work and the admissions criteria. At least one recommendation should be an academic reference.

PLEASE NOTE: Applicants will submit names and email addresses of references as part of their online application. References will then receive an email with instructions for submitting their letters of recommendation electronically.

A copy of your current resume and employment history.

Describe your career goals, substantive interests in the field of urban planning, and rationale for pursuing graduate study in urban planning at the University of Kansas.

International applicants should submit TOEFL or IELTS scores indicating minimum English proficiency scores. The only exception is if the applicant can verify graduation with a baccalaureate degree (or higher) earned in residence from an accredited U.S. institution of higher education, or from such an institution whose medium of instruction is English. This does not apply to degrees earned online.

Admissions Deadlines

  • Fall Admission: July 1

  • Spring Admission: December 1

  • Summer Admission: May 1

Learn More


No. The GRE is not required for Master of Urban Planning applicants. 

As we are a professional program within the School of Public Affairs and Administration, we do not have regular opportunities for GRA, GTA, or Graduate Assistant positions within the program like graduate research programs.  However, our program director does help facilitate students in finding paid internships.

There are a limited number of merit-based scholarships that we award to our continuing Master of Urban Planning students. 

A helpful financial resource is the Office of Graduate Studies' Costs and Financial Aid webpage.

Please contact the Urban Planning Program,, if you are interested in obtaining an application fee waiver. 

Questions about MUP?

Program and admission information
Cari Ann Kreienhop, Graduate Program Manager

Issues submitting application
KU Graduate Studies